Can My Landlord Keep My Deposit Because He Wants To Replace The Range Hood?

by | Jan 17, 2013 | Security Deposits

My landlord is trying to hold all of my deposit and charge me even above the security deposit by replacing the range hood in the kitchen and cleaning the ceiling and walls in the kitchen due to excessive oil.

We’ve hired a professional cleaning company to clean the whole house, maybe these spots are not in very good condition even after cleaning. Should we pay for that?

We’ve been living there for more than 7 years.

He also charged me for painting of $1500 for the whole house because of the kid’s drawing on the wall on the first floor.

Should I pay for that? Or just a percentage of that since I’ve been living there for a long time?

BTW, I live in San Jose.

Whenever I write about security deposits, my comments can be applied to any tenant in California because state law governs the collection and return of security deposits. Almost all of my answers are based on my reading and interpretation of California Civil Code §1950.5, which applies to all California tenancies from Weed to Chula Vista, even San Jose.

San Francisco tenants enjoy an additional local right to collect interest on their security deposits, but they’re still governed by Civil Code §1950.5 for everything else.

The first thing you should do id re-read “Grand Theft Security Deposit.” Then take a at a recent column in which I addresses a common problem–the landlord uses the tenant’s money to remodel. Check out “Tenant Troubles: Can My Landlord Make Me Pay To Replace The Carpet?”

Civil Code §1950.5 provides that a landlord can deduct from a security deposit, costs associated with repairing damages that are over and above those associated with ordinary wear and tear. Unless you took a sledge hammer to the range hood, the landlord cannot blame you because the hood needs to be replaced. In fact, you can point out that any excess grease was caused by the defective hood if it wasn’t ventilating properly.

If some areas in the house just cannot be cleaned they also may simply be the result of ordinary wear and tear.

The kid’s drawing is another issue. Certainly the landlord can deduct any cost associated with repainting that wall, but I don’t believe he can justify painting the whole house.

The landlord is required by law to provide you with a list of deductions. If you feel they are unfair, write a letter to the landlord and demand that he return the portion to which you are entitled. Give him five days to return the money and tell him if he does not do so you will sue him for your actual damages plus twice the amount fo the security deposit for withholding your money in bad faith.

When the landlord does not respond, file a small claims lawsuit against him. Pick up a copy of Everybody’s Guide to Small Claims Court in California, by Ralph Warner for Nolo Press. This book will guide you, step by step, through the process.

Call the Tenant Lawyers now for a free consultation.
(415) 552-9060